Bain-Blog

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

City budget

After over an hour of discussion, the budget was approved and there will be a $10.00 a month garbage and recycling fee beginning October 2006 ($30.00 total for 2006, slated to be $120.00 a year starting in 2007). As stated at the meeting, I am not happy with the fee, however, the city must have a budget. Since I agreed with the majority of the budget (the fee represented 1.03% of the entire budget), I feel it was the responsible vote to cast. Sometimes we don't like everything in the "entire package" but it's our duty to pass a budget (although I suggested calling a special meeting next week to give us more time for discussion and action but it did not garner the necessary council support).

I believe we could have provided the service and kept it on the property tax bill but did not have the support of the majority of the council. Councilor Burk Tower and I were the only two councilors to propose ways to keep it on the property tax bill. Thank you, Burk, for your suggestions on how to keep the core service provided via property taxes. An additional thank you to Councilor Meredith Scheuermann for supporting my second proposal to keep the service on the property tax bill.

In case you missed the meeting, there were three proposals to keep the garbage and recycling collection service on the property tax bill. Councilor B. Tower's proposal failed 1-6-0 (Burk was the lone "aye" vote; I voted against it because I wanted to propose a few more specific cuts than Burk suggested). My first proposal failed 1-6-0 (I was the lone "aye" vote). My second proposal was the closest to approval, however it was defeated 3-4-0 (Burk, Meredith and I voted "aye"). I thought Councilor Shirley Brabender Mattox might support it (there was a pause prior to casting her vote) but she ultimately voted against it.

One thing is for sure, the common council and city manager cannot continue with "business as usual" when it comes to the budget process. I, for one, will not accept the status quo! I agree with Mr. Burk Tower, we need to have discussions in the summer to help set the stage for the fall. I also believe the city needs to have some sort of productivity/effectiveness study. I know at least one councilor (Mr. Esslinger) who will support me in this effort...by the way, thanks for not jumping out of your chair and hugging me at the last budget workshop!! :)

Finally, it's my hope more citizens of Oshkosh will become involved in the process. While I received several letters and phone calls specific to the garbage and recycling service and fee, I heard next to nothing on the remainder of the budget. I created a special page on my website with links to budget documents and a place for citizens to provide me feedback, however, not one person submitted ideas or suggestions. Of course, Representative Underheim will tell you it's solely the job of the council to find cuts and make suggestions, after all, we were elected to the council...but I don't think his opinion is that of the majority.

I learned a lot during this, my first, budget process. I have pages (literally) of ideas and thoughts. For me, the 2007 budget process starts now!

-Bryan

2 Comments:

  • Bryan- the Council should set a precedant for the next budget by informing the City manager and his departments heads that they will be evaluated on how they change how services are delivered to the community. This will force the City to change the "things as usual" method of budgeting and providing services.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 25, 2005 8:35 AM  

  • Zendawi-
    I believe the council must engage earlier in the budget process, preferably the summer, to work with the city manager to set parameters and goals for that upcoming budget process. I also believe a productivity and/or independent audit of how our city works, staffing levels, budget, etc., is long overdue.

    Thank you for the suggestion!

    -Bryan

    By Blogger Bryan L. Bain, at November 27, 2005 5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home