Bain-Blog

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Five Rivers timeline extension

Sunday's Oshkosh Northwestern editorial suggested the council vote Tuesday to extend the timeline for the proposed Five Rivers project. The editorial board suggested the city give the developer, Tom Doig, "every chance to succeed" with the project. I agree, however, believe that's what we've already done.

If you remember back to the council meeting when the first term sheet was approved, I "enthusiastically" supported the proposal. I believed then - and still do - that a development such as this will serve as a catalyst for future progress. It's a win-win situation. There comes a times, however, when either the project moves forward or the city moves on. I believe the later is where we are now, and it's time for a "Plan B."

I agree that a three month timeline extension, at face value, does not seem unreasonable. And I'm not opposed to giving the city and potential developers the necessary time and means possible to bring forth a development such as Five Rivers. I am, however, only willing to go along when I believe in the viability of the project and the people involved.

Unfortunately, the ongoing negotiations with Mr. Doig and his team leave me very unsatisfied, and I am no longer convinced this project with this team is best for Oshkosh. That is why I plan to vote against the timeline extension, and also why I plan to ask city staff to proceed immediately with a new request for proposals (RFP).

There are a lot of talented individuals with excellent ideas who could help us with the opportunity to reclaim our riverfront. Our community, this council and the city staff have already demonstrated the desire and willingness to work with those who have ideas for our great city. That's a positive step in the right direction. We must learn from this experience, apply it to the next and move forward.

-Bryan

9 Comments:

  • Bryan,
    That is the best idea I have heard in a while.
    Thank you for seeing what is happening and being willing to look at other options. I hope that the others will agree with you.
    Five Rivers has had plenty of opportunity to make this development a reality, but I think that the time has come to move on.

    Have a great day and I'll see you at the meeting.

    K Monte

    By Blogger Kent Monte, at March 13, 2006 1:00 PM  

  • I would hope that you explain why you don't have the confidence in the project. Why can't this short extension be given and a "Plan B" be moved forward at the same time? Unless there is more to the story than what has been made public, I think your stance is wrong...unless there is more to the story than what has been made public.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 13, 2006 2:31 PM  

  • Anonymous-
    My rationale for not supporting a timeline extension is based on discussions and new information gathered from recent negotiations with Mr. Doig and city staff. Honestly, my concerns revolve around the developer's finances. I believe the city would be better off pursuing new ideas for the redevelopment area rather than waiting an additional three months to then decide to move forward. Unfortunately, I do not believe a three month extension will move this project forward.

    -Bryan

    By Blogger Bryan L. Bain, at March 13, 2006 11:36 PM  

  • It's hard to believe that this whole deal could collapse so fast without staff having an idea that the financing was such a long shot.

    I certainly hope this wasn't some yahoo going out and playing 'Let's Make a Deal' with the city, then using the city's generosity to try and sell the idea to venture capitalists.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 14, 2006 3:38 PM  

  • Is it finally time to make Jackson Kinney accountable? We need a more open process with the next proposal. I would expect the city council to demand that from Mr. Kinney. He has been given a free pass for far to long now.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 14, 2006 4:06 PM  

  • Mr. Bain,

    I certainly and sincerely hope that your plan B, that references back to the Northwestern's plan B, are not the same plan B?! It is ridiculous to think that this city can afford to build ON THE RIVER FRONT anymore University related buildings. This property needs to get BACK on the tax rolls. That can not and will not happen if it becomes yet another extension of UW-Oshkosh! Not to mention the implied conflict you would and should clearly see, as an employee of this campus.

    There needs to be a PLAN B alright, but enough with the UW taking and spending taxpayers dollars, on more building. We need tax relief not more grief!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 14, 2006 4:17 PM  

  • Anonymous 03/14 @ 4:17 p.m.-
    I have not endorsed a specific "plan B." I was pointing out my agreement with The Northwestern's idea of planning for the next step. That's why at last night's meeting I encouraged the Community Development department to begin work on this by starting a new request for proposals (RFP) process.

    Specific to the university, I have not seen a plan that would extend the campus (academic buildings) across Wisconsin Street. That said, I am interested in learning more about Chancellor Wells' living/learning/service community idea or any project that could have an overall positive impact on our community.

    -Bryan

    By Blogger Bryan L. Bain, at March 15, 2006 7:51 AM  

  • Mr. Bain,

    I have just finished reading on the Oshkosh News site, a very comperhensive financial analysis that was done on the Five River project. How could you have ever supported such a ridiculous plan? The return on investment was criminal! I realize that you are a newcomer to the council scene, but to not be armed with the proper information (like that on Oshkosh News) is like going into battle without bullets!

    While I have some temparary sense of relief, due to YOUR stance on this project finally changing, I am shocked and upset that others like you, lead us to believe that you had done your homework on this project. Your peer Meredith Scheuerman told this city on numberous occassions that she had seen to it personally that taxpayers risk was MITIGATED, and we should believe her because of her financial background! This is just shameful. What do you intend to do now, to ensure that we as taxpayers aren't misled any further?

    Irate in Oshkosh

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 16, 2006 11:20 AM  

  • Irate in Oshkosh likes to stretch the truth and make statements of "fact" that really aren't based on fact at all. This individual needs to get a grip on reality and state things as they really are or not comment at all.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 26, 2006 4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home