Bain-Blog

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Good week for Oshkosh

In case you missed it, there has been a lot of press this week regarding economic development and job growth in the city of Oshkosh.

On Sunday, we learned that Oshkosh tops its Fox Valley neighbors in several economic growth indicators. We learned Wednesday that Miles Kimball is moving 100+ jobs to the city from Las Vegas, and that the city is making progress on clearing the old buildings in the South Shore Redevelopment Area. Then, today we learned that Lowe's has submitted plans for a new 139,000 sq. ft. building with an attached 39,000 sq. ft. garden center in the Highway 21 corridor that will net 175 new jobs, 70% of which will be full-time.

I also heard on the radio this week that a Comfort Suites is planning to build next to the new Golden Corral restaurant, although I cannot find anything online about it. UPDATE: There is now a story online about it. WHG Companies is behind the project. They also own other hotels in Oshkosh.

All of this, coupled with the 2006 year-in-review articles [here and here] about Chamco and OAEDC, is very good news for the city of Oshkosh. What are your thoughts?

-Bryan

3 Comments:

  • As Tony the tiger would say: "THAT"S GREAT"

    I can't believe it; all this good news for the Oshkosh area and no one has anything to say.
    What a shame! I would hate to think we have become a ommunity of whiners?
    I say where do I send my resume?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 22, 2007 7:21 AM  

  • Anonymous 7:21 a.m.-
    I agree, it is great news.

    I heard some additional good news on the radio this morning. The city might have a chance to bring back the jobs lost when Federal Signal, who bought out the Leach Company, left for Canada. I hope it pans out.

    -Bryan

    By Blogger Bryan L. Bain, at January 22, 2007 9:10 AM  

  • my only problem is the whole CHAMCO
    OAEDC thing. I think they both are basically playing in each others sandbox.
    Furthermore, I think we need some direct attention on retail. I know Klemann was doing that and not getting anywhere fast, and that might be the reason for the OCDC/OAEDC change, but then let Doug Pearson run with the ball as he volunteered to do. If he can improve retail as much as he's improved industrial he would be a hero in this city.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at January 22, 2007 12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home