Bain-Blog

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Healthcare

We all know about the "healthcare crisis" facing our country. And anyone who follows the budget process for the city knows that health care costs is one of the fastest rising expenses for the city. In fact, it's a growing concern in both the public and private sectors. Finally, the state of Wisconsin has an opportunity to hold true to it's state motto - Forward - with an opportunity to take the lead in the nation.

The recent Wisconsin Alliance of Cities e-newsletter has an article on a progressive and cost-effective health care plan that I believe should be passed by the Legislature and signed by the Governor. The bi-partisan Wisconsin Health Care Partnership Plan (SB 698), which is a by-product of the Wisconsin AFL-CIO plan, has been introduced by state Senator Russ Decker (D-Schofield) and state Representative Terry Musser (R-Black River Falls).

I only hope the Assembly, lead by the Republicans, will not wait until after "bar time" to pass this important and necessary legislation!

-Bryan

3 Comments:

  • While the state works on that how about we increase the employees portion of health care costs for city employees to a more realistic 10%-15% of the premium. They are currently at 5%. Even the county is at 10%.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 05, 2006 1:15 PM  

  • I support the senate & assembly examing the issue of offering reasonably priced health care to all citizens of the State. I am a government employer who realizes what an extraordinary benefit we still have with the counties/municipalities paying the share of costs that they do for us. I would support that type of benefit being offered to all working people in the state.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 05, 2006 6:27 PM  

  • In the public sector, the average employee portion of contribution is around 22-23%.

    Why couldn't the city use high deductible plans with HSA's for non-represented employees?? What would the hurdles be? I use that for my family...and my costs are MUCH less than the average cost the city pays for an employee. I pay $4424 annually (premium) for a $5000 deductible plan (family of 4). The most I'll pay this year is $9424 (assuming I have more than $5000 in medical bills). If we have no medical bills, my cost is $4424 and I have $5000 saved in my HSA to be used for future dedcutible payments.

    How much does the city pay just for the premium on a family of 4? I bet it's over $1200/month by now ($14,400/year).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 10, 2006 2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home